Saturday, January 05, 2008

Stroke

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke... totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE
Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S * Ask the individual to SMILE.

T * Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently)
(i.e. It is sunny out today)

R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 999/911 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue

NOTE: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue.. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other, that is also an indication of a stroke.



A reply from a good friend of mine and my father's after my dad sent it to all of us:

Thanks Bill ... a good referral for us all,

I was in Croatia with my daughter on a tour a bit over a year ago. I was sitting talking airline economics with a couple of fellow tour members. I suddenly could not formulate my words apparently muttering. The couple excused
themselves apparently embarrassed for me. I tried to get up and walk away. I fell down, got up and then my daughter confronted me. I just stood there dazed. She asked who she was. I could not remember or say her name . Fortunately a Dr. was on tour and immediately recognized the symptoms. They fed me an aspirin and water and rushed me to the nearest hospital. I was "absent" for an estimated 20 minutes.Shortly thereafter I only felt tired but fully conscious.I vaguely remembered the past 20 minutes.

I do understand how experiencing a quick recovery a person could easily want to or simply ignore the happening.

My care was excellent in the local hospital. Ekg, CAT scan, MRI,intravenous,nurse , private room etc. However the only person who understood any English was the Chief Neurologist. After I returned to the States I had every test imaginable and we wrote off the cause to extended and heavy stress.

Hopefully I never have a T.I.A. again !

All my best to the family,

Erik


(Yeah, Yeah, I'll get back to the funnies...)

No comments: